Today is turkey day in the US. I’m going over to Mom’s for lunch. We are each responsible for half of the meal. I made the turkey, the dressing, and the gravy yesterday. She is in charge of the sides, the rolls, and the dessert. It works out quite well, neither one of us gets exhausted from cooking.
Selleck likes turkey. The last hour that it was cooking he sat in front of the oven, eyes closed in ecstasy, breathing in the wonderful scent. When I went to get the bird out I had to shut him in the bathroom so he wouldn’t trip me up. When it was cool enough I gave in to his demanding “MEOW! MEOW!” and let him have some skin and a little meat. He gobbled it down and licked his chops. I will give him some more later today.
This year I brined the turkey. It came out very well, delicious and moist. The only bad thing about the brining was the actual process itself. It went like this:
- I had to find a container large enough to hold the turkey submerged in the brine.
- I had to remove one of the shelves in my refrigerator to make room for said container.
- I had to get the turkey into the container and put it in the refrigerator.
- I had to mix the brine and pour it over the turkey.
- Refrigerated overnight.
- Carefully scooped out as much brine as I could with a soup ladle.
- Removed container from refrigerator.
- Removed turkey from remaining brine so that I didn’t slop all over the floor, placed turkey on clean baking sheet.
- Patted turkey dry with kitchen towel.
- Poured remaining brine down the sink.
- Seasoned turkey, placed on baking rack in roaster and cooked until done.
- Talkin’ Turkey (garden-eats.com)
- Thanksgiving Eve Eve (startofanage.wordpress.com)
- POLL: How Will You Cook Your Thanksgiving Turkey? (new102.cbslocal.com)
- Thanksgiving 911: Emergency saves for 5 cooking disasters (whas11.com)
- Thanksgiving ranked as leading day for house fires (ksl.com)
- Happy Thanksgiving! (harpethview.com)
- Thanksgiving Turkey & Gravy Essentials – Thanksgiving Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- TFD Thanksgiving Safety Tips (wctv.tv)
- Let’s Talk Turkey:How’d That Get On My Thanksgiving Plate? Thank a Farmer. (jenhaugenrd.wordpress.com)
- Just the two of us: Cooking light for Thanksgiving (chicagolovespanini.com)